At Community Roots Support Services, we do not abide by a one-size fits all approach. We recognize that for some Individuals, reaching set goals and improving quality of life will be more readily achieved outside the Home Share umbrella. The ability to adapt to meet the needs of the Individuals we serve is the driving force behind our Independent Housing Program New Beginnings.
Through our partnership with local non-profit housing providers, we are able to provide Individuals referred by CLBC affordable, independent housing in combination with one-to-one support from a highly skilled and trained support worker.
In this program, you will have your own affordable, independent apartment suite and will meet with a Support Worker for a predetermined amount of time each week. Our Home Share Coordinator will meet with you to build a support plan centered around you. This plan creates a full picture of your interests, abilities, desires, strengths, and goals.
Once completed, you will start meeting with your Support Worker. Areas that a Support Worker may help with include:
- Taking part in community events
- Going to the gym and/or hikes
- Helping to budget finances
- Application for recreational passes
- Preparation of important documents
- Meal planning and preparation
- Support with submitting tax documents
- Applying for educational programs
- Support with strategies to improve mental health and well being
- Researching employment/volunteer opportunities.